Saturday, April 4, 2009

Junior Theme


As I was sitting in the library on Monday, I was brainstorming topics for my Junior Theme. After just a couple minutes, I knew exactly what topic I wanted my Junior Theme to be about and that is the Sexism of Women in Sports. Being an athlete, it is very clear to me that women are treated much differently than men when it comes to sports. As most know, just a few weeks ago, both the New Trier Green and Girls Hockey Teams won the State Championship at the United Center. This was all over the news papers but of course, the boys got more press than the girls. To me, this does not seem fair at all. Another example is that since I have been looking at division I schools all over the nation for hockey, I have noticed that at most schools, the men have much nicer ice rinks than the women. That is not fair either. Those are just a few examples of how women are treated much differently than women when it comes to sports. This topic is something that I have thought about a lot in the past few years because as I get older, I begin to notice it more and more and it is a topic that I am very interested in doing my Junior Theme on.

What are your thoughts on Sexism of Women in Sports?

3 comments:

andrea said...

claire... this seems very interesting. It is evident that there is not as much attention payed to womens sports as mens. I went to the new trier v. evannston girls varsity basketball game this year, and there was almost no on ethere... then near the end and closer to the boys game, people started to come in until the whole place was packed! I completely agree with you.. I think this would be a very interesting topic. I wonder if this was always how it was in past american times.... Something to research!!

Judy Gressel said...

Claire,
Start your research with Title IX -
the funding that came finally came to support women's sports in 1972. I went to high school with NO women's sports --zero!
Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, states: "No person in the United States shall, on the basis of sex, be excluded from participation in, be denied the benefits of, or be subjected to discrimination under any education program or activity receiving Federal financial assistance."
I have not seen any bib info posted in Noodle Tools so it's a little hard to see how far you have progressed on your research.
Go to:
Opposing Viewpoints
CQ Research
ProQuest
Expanded Academic Index

These are 4 terrific databases which will allow you to examine all aspects of the topic.

Judy Gressel said...

Good sources so far, keep digging.

Is sexism in sports just a larger part of sexism in other arenas?

Investigate the patriarchal nature of our American culture. How does this perpetuate sexism in sports?