Sunday, May 10, 2009

Stars and Stripes



Over the past week in American Studies class, we have had many discussions about the American Flag and what it means to us. To me, the flag means a lot. It is a representation of freedom and symbolizes who we are. This weekends assignment was to take a picture of a flag and analyze the photo. As I was driving around this weekend, I began to look for American Flags. It really amazed me how few houses had hanging American Flags. I was near the beach and thought I would take a picture of the Gilson Beach Flag pole. This Flag Pole also had the Illinois, State Flag flying underneath the American Flag. This is not the first time I have seen the Illinois, State flag flying with the American Flag in Wilmette. It also is on the flag pole at Centennial Ice rink and pool, and also at the Wilmette Rec Center. However, that is besides the point. The representation of the American Flag I took a picture of really stood out to me. As I took this picture, the wind was pretty strong which made this flag fly and look very proud. I believe that we as Americans should hang flags throughout the entire year and not just on Holidays to represent our country and our troops.

No comments: