Monday, October 27, 2008

East Coast vs North Shore






This past weekend, I was in Boston for an elite hockey tournament. When we were not playing games, my mom and I tried to visit as many places as we could around the Boston area. We visited Boston College, Harvard University and Boston University. Each school was very different. Boston University was more city like, Harvard was very old and historical looking which i liked very much and Boston College was more of a gated college but very pretty. We also drove around and looked at some of the very historical looking houses. The houses out east are not your typical North Shore houses. The houses out east were much older but very nice looking. The houses out there fit the environment very well. Some of the house even had dates on the side of them that dated way back. Although I love the North Shore very much, the East Coast is very very pretty. Has anyone else ever visited any of theses places? What do you think of the East Coast compared to the North Shore?

3 comments:

OC said...

Claire,

I like the Harvard seal you adorn your post with! You offer some good observations in general here, but try to push your thoughts even further. E.g., How is the environment used to sell each school? How does one's environment affect one's life?

Adam said...

Overall, I think you could say that the east coast does have a "richer" history than the midwest. After all states like Massachusets and New York were founded before Illinois. Though what exactly are you comparing between the two? Is it the style of houses, or something other? And when you say east coast, what exactly do you mean? The eastern Atlantic coast ranges from areas as South as North Carolina, to upstate New York. I don't really think it is possible to put the entire east coast in the same category. Lacrosse tournaments have taken me to Maryland, New Hampshire, Massachusets, Virginia, Boston, and New York. They are all completely different. When I say different I mean the people living in those states, their houses, trends, political views, their entire ways of life are completely different. I think you need to be a little more specific when referring to the east coast. Maybe New England or just the Boston area have the characteristics you described in your post.

Claire S. said...

Adam,
Thanks for the advice. I mainly meant the Boston area but I have also been to many places on the East Coast and for example, Connecticut was a lot like the Boston area.